Category: Arts & Design
Calligraphy, or the art of writing, was the visual art form prized above all others in traditional China. The genres of painting and calligraphy emerged simultaneously, sharing identical tools—namely, brush and ink. Yet calligraphy was revered as a fine art long before painting; indeed, it was not until the Song dynasty, when painting became closely allied with calligraphy in aim, form, and technique, that painting shed its status as mere craft and joined the higher ranks of the fine arts.
The elevated status of calligraphy reflects the importance of the word in China. This was a culture devoted to the power of the word. From the beginning, emperors asserted their authority for posterity as well as for the present by engraving their own pronouncements on mountain sides and on stone steles erected at outdoor sites. In pre-modern China, scholars, whose main currency was the written word, came to assume the dominant positions in government, society, and culture.
Mastering the technique of using ink to write Chinese calligraphy is an art as old as China itself. Traditional writings about calligraphy suggest that written words play multiple roles: not only does a character denote specific meanings, but its very form should reveal itself to be a moral exemplar, as well as a manifestation of the energy of the human body and the vitality of nature itself.
Chinese calligraphy is a reflection of the inner mind, emotions, and intellect of the calligrapher.
As writing tools have evolved, so too has Chinese calligraphy, which has became an essential part of the Chinese culture. Even though writing Chinese calligraphy is not a common method for daily communication in the digital age, it still serves as a channel for the appreciation of traditional Chinese culture and heritage. It has also become more and more popular in western countries with its unique cultural implications.
- This is a gathering of people from calligraphy circle. We have invited contemporary Chinese calligraphers and painting artists. You will spend the beautiful evening with them in a relax atmosphere.
- Refreshments are provided.
Please be advised:
1. This Event is limited to a capacity of 30 Members. Professionals working in this industry will be given priority consideration.
2. Please make a reservation if you are interested in attending.
3. The registration deadline is three days prior to the date of this event. If you are unable to attend, please cancel your reservation ahead of time.